11.18.2008

"'Cause it's all about control..."

Should I really be feeling as triumphant as I am for scoring what I did on the MarthaStewart.com "Which Thanksgiving Side Dish Are You?" quizzle. A score only 5.99% of those who took it received, beeteedubs:

You are undoubtedly
Savory Sweet-Potato Souffles.

You aim to impress with everything you do. You appreciate elegance and showmanship. You've been planning your Thanksgiving feast for weeks now. This holiday season, there'll be no canned soup in your kitchen.

Oh, I've been planning. This Thxgv'g is a special one because Paul & I will soon be in a new place that will accommodate the fucking amazing dining table & chairs making their way to us now. I ordered my organic Diestel turkey a week ago not even knowing where we'd end up because I knew this year was going to be the year. What year?

THE YEAR I'M THE BOSS OF EVERY THXGV'G COMESTIBLE. In my home, anyway.

First things first: do I brine the bird or not? Well, I was going to, until Harold McGee disabused me of this plan. Like I'm going to let watery gravy happen in my kitchen! I'm not bummed about the breast getting dry because I eat that 1 part meat to one part canberry sauce. Oh, that's no typo. I only like Ocean Spray cranberry sauce WITHOUT chunks. It's so delicious, I can eat it with a spoon. I also love the "fffwop!" sound that happens when it comes out of the can in one semi-solid, indented mass. LOVE.

Next is gravy. I'm making stock for it as soon as I can unpack my big pot. & just like my Grandma Nadine, I'm augmenting this viscous delight with the neck meat & giblets. Meat with a side of meat, y'all.

Dressing. Yes, 'dressing', not 'stuffing', which is what I would call it if I was to shove it up my bird's cunt. But I'm not. Ciabatta, mirepoix, some of that affore-mentioned stock & pancetta. OK, I ganked this from Giada de Laurentiis. So what? I would add the chestnuts, but Paul does not like them (weirdo! I think the soft texture & nutty flavor is perfect). Just because I'm the boss of this endeavor doesn't mean I can't be benevolent.

The green beans I'll cook with combination steam/sauté. Sautéing 100% makes the beans wrinkly, & 100% steaming is just...so sad. I plan to dress them with minced shallots, mustard, & butter they will cook with. I cannot abide by the horrific gut-bomb that is green bean casserole with the canned onion thingies. Unless if maybe we're talking bechamel instead of cream of mushroom soup. That I can't accommodate on my stove top room-wise.

This next component is an homage of sorts to a good friend of mine who I've spent Thxgv'g with the last four times. Waldorf Salad, with spicy roasted walnuts. What's not to like? Thin slices of tart Granny Smith apples, sweet & earthy carrot, spicy walnuts, creamy dressing. If I was one of those people who spent more time & energy on salads, I would make this at least once a week.

Lastly, in a nod to Paul's birth place, he will be making Yorkshire puddings. I would say we're having these in lieu of dinner rolls, but dinner rolls are the dog's breakfast compared to Yorkshire puddings. A little turkey drippings in the muffin tin, batter, in the oven, & out comes the most poofy, soft & satisfying starch I've ever stuck in me gob.

Whoa! I said 'lastly', but I forgot about the cheesecake. No pumpkin pie because apparently I'm married to a total hater. W'evs! I like cheesecake more anyway.

I have a mental list of everything I can prepare in advance to avoid collapsing under the weight of my own expectations on the kitchen floor. Wine should help, though.

7 comments:

shiftercars said...

WALDORF SALAD! It will be very weird indeed to not be noshing on turkey with you! Who will cut the cranberry sauce into leaf shapes?! Who!?

Joe Randazzo said...

Katie, I LOVE reading your writing. I literally guffawed like ten times. I think perhaps this is the reason I don't have my own blog yet. I'm not sure I have the writer's touch.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Unknown said...

You are the boss, bossy boots, of everything in the house, comestible or not, with the possible exception of cats.

Kdavies said...

'Dre: Lily? No, she'll be too busy eating gibbies.

Joe: Puh-leese! I just write the way I think, which is half-formed thoughts peppered with 'diarrhea' & 'fuck'.

Paul: Bossy Boots...me likey v. much.

Julie said...

I'll bring you a slice of pumpkin pie, because even if I'm the only one who will eat it, I simply cannot do thanksgiving without one. Give me a few years and I'll be just like my grandmother, baking 7. Just because.

I just sent my menu ideas/suggestions to the in-laws. now it's wait and see what they insist on eating so i can modify my list.

Kdavies said...

Oh, Jay-oolie, if you save me a piece of your pie, you know I'll need to repay you in some major way. You let me know how.

jason said...

consider for next year, an opposing viewpoint on brining

"Harold McGee has lost his mind"
http://www.meadowparty.com/blog/?p=418

as for cranberry sauce, my family traditionally had both canned and fresh available. these days, it's all about my recipe.