4.27.2009

Clarification & some other things.

I don't want to leave my ten readers with the impression that I don't take accountability for myself, so let me explain something I should have prefaced my interaction with Chef Nelson Muntz with (rude, vest- get it?). I was at the bar in the restaurant with a friend, & our server caught wind of my being in culinary school. She then insisted on having Chef Muntz come out & meet me. I asked her not to- I was drunk! Nor did I have anything to say to him or ask him, which made interrupting him fairly pointless. If I had requested to speak to him & asked for advice, then yes, I would have then opened myself to his criticism. Seeing as how the whole thing was unsolicited by me, I thought it was a little much. The end. I'll continue to enjoy his place & consider his food as nothing short of spectacular.

Now for some good news. My friend, who incidentally was there during that bummer encounter, has helped me out in a big way. For my final project in my American Women's History course, I'm choosing to focus on women in the professional kitchen. I have to interview someone, & my friend hooked me up with a success & sassy chef he occassionally works with in her restaurant. She was more than happy to oblige, which makes me pretty excited. I'm glad I chose a topic close to my heart because I'm looking forward to picking her brain.

I was actually surprised to see that a lot of my classmates chose to focus on women as victims. I would never say it's not important to be aware of this, or that victims shouldn't freely voice their struggles. What I find weird & sad is that that many people wouldn't prefer to portray women in a more pro-active way, highlighting our acheivements. Historically, women have been doormats for the most part, but there are other topics that define women much more individually. I'll just need to procure a happy pill the morning of their presentation!

No comments: